Saturday, January 7, 2012

Resting is hard work

I've been having conversations with others and God on this subject.
Resting and trusting are so hard to do! I don't know about you, but to me, when I think of resting I think of the end of my work day getting to sit down, or a lovely day off like today when I get to spend time with a friend going to the farmers Market.
But, that is not the picture I get when I read the instructions on resting in the Lord:

Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you
~Psalm 116:7

David tells his soul (his mind, his will, his emotions) to rest in the Lord. It's a decision. He chooses to rest. He also reminds himself of how God has dealt bountifully with him to get him where he needs to be.
Jeremiah 6:16 also says:
Thus says the LORD:

“Stand by the roads, and look,
and ask for the ancient paths,
where the good way is; and walk in it,
and find rest for your souls.
But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’

There is rest in following His Word.

For me this is a constant battle. I am very grateful He is on my side!

1 comment:

Katarina said...

There's a quote, from Kay Arthur, she says "Rest is the activity of faith".
I repeat it to myself constantly because resting and trusting are hard for me too. I want to DO something...but I remind myself the rest is an activity ;)